Registration - General Requirements
Grade level information
- Texas Education Code 29.151 states the following: "The board of trustees of each school district shall establish and maintain one of more kindergartens for the training of children residing in the district who are at least five years of age on September 1 of the school year."
- First Grade
- Texas Education Code 48.003(c) states the following: "A child may be enrolled in the first grade if the child is at least six years of age at the beginning of the school year of the district or has been enrolled in the first grade or has completed kindergarten in the public schools in another state before transferring to a public school in the this state."
- Grades 2-12
Which school am I zoned to?
Attendance zone information for all Katy ISD schools can be found by using the Find My School application or mobile app. This app provides the ability to search for a specific address or you can select any campus to see what subdivisions and apartment complexes it serves.
Katy ISD will be using PowerSchool Registration, an easy to use, online registration system for new student registration. A new student is defined as new to Katy ISD and having never attended a school in Katy ISD, or a previous Katy ISD student who is re-enrolling.
- Instructions on how to register your child through PowerSchool
* For specific information on registration requirements, please read below.
- The following documents are required upon time of enrollment on campus:
- Proof of residence (see "Residency Requirements" below)
- Official birth certificate or passport of the student
- Social Security Card for your child (if SSN provided)
- Government issued Identification Card of the person registering the child
- Proof of immunizations - legible in English (see Immunization Requirements below)
- Report card or transcript from the school the student most recently attended, including 8th grade records if enrolling in high school
- Exhibit B: Enrollment Authorization Form – use when a parent cannot come to enroll the student and is sending someone else in his/her place.
At the time of registration, parents must bring proof of residence dated within the past 30 days, showing the parent/guardian's name and street address. A recent utility bill (electric, water, or gas), a house or apartment lease agreement, or an earnest money or purchase contract and a letter from a mortgage company indicating loan approval or proof from the home builder/realtor of cash payment verification. If a lease agreement or purchasing paperwork is provided at the time of registration, a utility bill must be provided within 30 days of occupancy.
Notice: It is a felony to falsify residency information for enrollment purposes (Texas State Penal Code, Section 27.10).
The following items may also be required based on residency status:
- Exhibit E: Temporary Power of Attorney – student is not living with a parent or legal guardian; may also need step-parent to complete.
- Exhibit F: Affidavit of Student Admission Information (for nonresident student in a grandparent’s after-school care) – enrolling based on grandparent’s address and afterschool care – need Exhibit G as well.
- Exhibit G: Affidavit of Grandparent’s After-School Care (for nonresident student ) – enrolling based on grandparent’s address and afterschool care – need Exhibit F as well.
- Exhibit H: Affidavit of Bona Fide Residence – to be completed by the person whose name is on the utility bill, for situations in which the student and parent reside with another family – need Exhibit I as well.
- Exhibit I: Parent’s/Guardian’s Assurance of Bona Fide Residence - to be completed by the parent when his/her name is not on the utility bill, for situations in which the student and parent reside with another family – need Exhibit H as well.
Registration information for buying or leasing new homes
Attending a campus based on a future residence is called Intended Residency (please see Transfer Requests below).
If you live outside Katy ISD boundaries, the move-in must occur within 60 days.
If you live inside Katy ISD boundaries, move-in must occur within 5 months.
- Copy of earnest money contract OR purchase contract with earnest money included,
- Loan pre-approved from a mortgage company
- Proof of residency (utility bill) is required within 30 days of move-in
Transfer requests are not required if move-in occurs between the first day of school and September 1st.
Transfers based on Intended Residency, for the current school year, may not be submitted after Spring Break.
More information on transfers can be found on the Student Transfer page.
Proof of immunization must also be provided during registration. Student immunizations must be as up-to-date as medically feasible and must be certified by a doctor or public health official. A student will not be allowed to attend class if immunization records are not presented at enrollment. A full list of required immunizations, including information about provisional enrollment, can be downloaded from the Health Services Department. For more information, contact the Katy ISD Health Services department at (281) 396-2629.
Katy ISD follows the Texas Department of State Health Services recommendation for immunization compliance in order for a student to attend school. The law requires that all students be up-to-date as medically feasible in order to attend classes. The immunization vaccine requirements for each grade level are listed on the Katy ISD website. Exemptions to the immunization requirements are allowable on an individual basis for medical contraindications, reasons of conscience-including religious belief, and active duty with the armed forces of the United States. For further information, visit the Texas Department of State Health Services website.
Bus transportation is provided for elementary students who live more than a half mile radius from school and secondary students who live more than a one mile radius from school. Bus route information can be found online starting July 19th. Bus route wall maps are also posted at all schools.
For other transportation information, call:
- East Transportation Center: (281) 396-2700
- West Transportation Center: ( 281) 396-7560
- South Transportation Center: (281) 396-2115
Campus Administrative Support
KatyISD Health Services Departments
Phone: (281) 396-2629
East Transportation Center
Phone: (281) 396-2700
West Transportation Center
Phone: (281) 396-7560
South Transportation Center
Phone: (281) 396-2115