Today, TEA announced a delay in the release of the 2023 A-F ratings for districts and campuses which were originally scheduled for public release on September 28.
Eight Katy ISD high schools are among the best in the United States, according to the U.S. News & World Report.
Katy Independent School District has once again earned a spot in the Forbes List of America’s Best Employers.
Katy ISD Fine Arts Department is leading the way in visual arts after being honored by the Texas Art Education Association (TAEA) with the 2023 District of Distinction Award for the third time.
Open House Information
The Cardiff Junior High Open House is Thursday, September 21st from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM. This is a great opportunity to meet your child’s teachers and learn about what is happening at Cardiff Junior High. Below is our schedule for Open House. We have asked your child to copy their class schedule for you so that you know where to go. You can also print a copy of your child’s schedule by going to the Home Access Center through the KISD website
http://www.katyisd.org. Additionally, you can access a copy of Frequently Asked Questions from the CJH campus website under the “Families” tab, “Parent Resources” and “FAQs”. PTA will have a table available in the cafeteria for you to join PTA as well as purchase 2023 school spirit wear.
Open House Schedule
5:30-5:40 1st Period
5:46-5:56 2nd Period
6:02-6:12 3rd Period
6:18-6:38 4th Period (6:28-6:38 Title I Parent Orientation Video; parent sign-in required)
6:44-6:54 5th Period
7:00-7:10 6th Period
7:16-7:26 7th Period
- Please arrive with enough time to be inside the building by 5:15 PM. Parents will wait in the main hallway until released by PA announcement to first period classes at 5:25 PM.
- Parking will be available to parents in the back parking lot. PLEASE DO NOT PARK IN THE FIRE LANES AT THE FRONT OF THE SCHOOL AS THIS CREATES A SAFETY HAZARD AND PREVENTS THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC.
- Please follow your student’s schedule of classes in order. Each class is 10 minutes in length with a 6-minute passing period between classes.
- The primary purpose of Open House is to briefly meet each of your child’s teachers. To be considerate of other parents, lengthy conversations with a teacher should be scheduled for a later date.
- You will not attend your student’s “Lunch” period, “Student Assistant” period, or 8thperiod ELT/Advisory.
Care Ownership Lifelong learners Team player Successful
Replacement ID Information
Just a reminder: students must purchase a new ID, lanyard, or sleeve if they break, loose, or destroy the original one that they were given. See fees below:
- Replacement IDs are $5. This includes ID, Lanyard and Plastic Sleeve.
- Students may purchase lanyards/plastic sleeves separately for $1 each.
Year Book Sales
Colts, the yearbooks are now on sale! Get your 2024 yearbook for just 45 dollars, the cheapest it will be all year! This 10-dollar discount will only be available until this Saturday, September 9th. Order your yearbook today by scanning the QR codes around the school to send a purchase link to your parent or guardian.
Tutorial Bus Information
Colt Parents & Community,
Tutorial Late Bus runs begin this coming Tuesday, September 5th. To help us in assisting your students to determine their tutorial bus run and modified bus stops, please review the following attachment with your child at home as a resource to prepare your child for staying for tutorials and knowing their routes and modified stops.
Page 1 includes all stops in a 2-column format for Tutorial Bus #1 and Tutorial Bus #2. Pages 3, 4 and 5 include the modified bus stops mapped out. Poster sized copies will also be placed around our school for additional support. Also, tutorial teachers, after school detention teachers, and study hall teachers have been provided this same resource to aid your child while at school.
Bus Stops and Maps
Together, with all these layers, we will be successful in providing every student a safe ride home. Please contact Assistant Principal Tamara Meldahl with any questions.
CJH Fundraiser, Sept.6-22
Gifted and Talented Screening for 2024-2025 School Year
Secondary students may be screened for G/T classes, as long as they were not already screened this school year.
Parent checklists are available on the GT/AAS website and in the GT Tile in MyKaty Cloud.
If students are already in some G/T classes, and wish to be in more GT classes they may complete a Request for Additional GT Service.
Forms have a firm deadline to be completed by 4:00 pm on Friday, October 6th. Paper checklists will not be accepted.
Secondary Parent Checklist Request for Additional Services
Evaluación de talentos y talentos para el año escolar 2024-2025
Los estudiantes secundarios pueden ser examinados para asistir a las clases para los Superdotados y Talentosos, siempre y cuando no hayan sido ya examinados durante este año escolar.
Comenzando el lunes, 6 de octubre, los estudiantes pueden recoger una Lista de Referencia para padres o en la aplicación GT en MyKaty Cloud.
Al mismo tiempo, si los estudiantes ya están en clases para los Superdotados y desean estar en más clases, pueden recoger una Petición de la forma del Servicio GT Adicional.
Las formas tienen que ser completadas de las 4:00 pm el viernes, 6 de octubre.
Greetings Parents! We are so excited to have your students with us this year! Below you will find important updates.
- Ms. Polk- 6th Grade A-L / All 7th Grade
- Mr. Morgan - 6th Grade M-Z / All 8th Grade
Schedules, Schedules, Schedules:
- Schedules will be changing over the next two weeks, within reason. Please allow us time to get your students placed correctly.
- Be sure to log into HAC to see the most up-to-date schedules.
- STAAR Scores have arrived! This will impact some of your student's elective choices. If you see a "Math Lab" or "Reading Elective," please know that these are state mandated intervention courses. These course are meant to help grow your student in a particular course area.
- STAAR scores will be available online for Junior High, starting the first day of school.
The Cardiff Counselor Cheat:
- The attached documents are displayed in every classroom, explaining how to make an appointment and/or schedule changes. Please encourage your students to utilize the QR code to make their requests throughout the school year.
- Some students may not be sure how to come and see the counselor. These documents will also explain that process.
Email & Phone Communication:
- We are currently experiencing a surge in email and phone calls. It may take longer to follow up on communication. However, we are actively working on all requests. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
Cross Country Information
Hello Cardiff Parents,
Boys and Girls Cross Country will begin practice the first week of school! Please read for important information!
What is Cross Country?
Cross country running is a sport in which individuals run a race on open-air courses over natural terrain such as dirt or grass. The courses will typically be between 1.40-1.50 miles long. Cross country is a non-cut sport meaning there are no tryouts and anyone can participate!
All athletes must be cleared in Rank One in order to participate in Cross Country.
To participate in athletics/sports, all athletes must have the following:
- Medical history completed by parents, sports physical completed by a medical professional and both uploaded to Rank One.
- Online forms completed by parent/guardian in Rank One.
- Click on the link or scan the QR code to get to the Rank One website- https://katyisd.rankonesport.com/New/NewParentLogin.aspx
There are two practice times to accommodate athletes participating in Football and Volleyball. Athletes will need to attend only one practice time a day unless told otherwise. Practice starts Thursday, August 17th, 2023.Times are as follows:
- 7:30-8:30 am
- 4:15-5:15 pm (no afternoon practices the first week of school- Aug 17 and Aug 18)
Practice Schedule (click on link): 2023 Cross Country Calendar
What do I wear/bring?
Athletic wear, athletic shoes, water bottle and watch (if possible).
Morning/Drop Off Info:
In the Morning athletes will meet at the track. Coaches will be there 10 minutes before start time. Please have them bring their school clothes with them so they can change in the locker room before school starts. There will not be time for athletes to go home after morning practices.
Afternoon/Pick Up Info:
Athletes will take their belongings outside to the track. After practices, athletes will be picked up from the track. Practice ends at 5:15pm. Please pick up no later than 5:25 pm.
Join Remind Me for updates/ reminders/ schedules : CJH Cross Country 23
Class Code: @cjhcro
If you have any questions, please let Coach Cuervo know (Girls): TarahCuervo@katyisd.org
Please let Coach Frost know (Boys): EvanCFrost@katyisd.org
Katy ISD Vaping Policy
PSAT/NMSQT IS NOW DIGITAL!
Katy ISD Administration Dates:
10th grade: Wednesday, October 11, 2023
11th grade: See below chart for specific campus testing date.
The PSAT/NMSQT™ is a standardized test administered by the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corporation. It measures the reading, math, and writing skills needed for college and career success in today's world. The PSAT/NMSQT™ provides valuable information to parents and students on student potential for advanced academics in high school. Juniors who score well may qualify for National Merit Recognition and Scholarships.
Beginning in the fall of 2023, the PSAT/NMSQT will be making a full transition from a paper/pencil exam to a digital exam. The PSAT/NMSQT digital test is shorter, has more time per question, and comes with a built-in DESMOS graphing calculator. Sophomores and juniors will take the PSAT/NMSQT® at their home campus free of charge. Students can prepare for this exam by reviewing the information at Preparing for the PSAT/NMSQT and reviewing the PSAT/NMSQT Student Guide. The College Board has partnered with Khan Academy® to provide free SAT online practice. Additional parent and student information about the PSAT/NMSQT can be found on the Katy ISD website.
Listed are the PSAT/NMSQT Campus Testing Dates.
James E Taylor High School
Katy High School
Cinco Ranch High School
Mayde Creek High School
Morton Ranch High School
Seven Lakes High School
Obra D Tompkins High School
Patricia E Paetow High School
Jordan High School
2024 ADVANCED PLACEMENT (AP) TESTING – REGISTRATION OPENING SOON
The 2024 AP exams are scheduled for the weeks of May 6-10, 2024, and May 13-17, 2024. Students who are enrolled in an AP class during the fall semester (for yearlong or fall semester only classes) and/or want to take the AP exam for that specific class MUST register during the fall registration timeline. The Fall registration includes students who completed an AP course in the summer and want to register for an AP exam only assessment. Also, students who are taking an AP course at MCTC or KVS must also register for the exam on their home campus by the deadline.
Registration & Payment begins on September 25, 2023, at 7:00 am and ends on October 25, 2023, at 10:59 pm. October 25, 2023, at 10:59 PM - Deadline to submit minimum payment of $40 per AP exam. Questions about AP testing can be directed to your campus AP Testing Coordinator.
SAFE FIREARM STORAGE RESOURCES
House Bill 3, (88th Texas Legislature) requires the Texas School Safety Center, in collaboration with the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), to provide school districts information and other resources regarding the safe storage of firearms, including information on section 46.13 of the Texas Penal Code, for distribution to parents/guardians and community.
The Texas DPS has created a public relations campaign – Keep ’Em Safe Texas – that offers free downloadable resources to promote safe gun storage. Below you will find links to resources in English and Spanish.
Program Overview 8.5 × 11 Flyer: English / Spanish
12 × 18 Poster: English / Spanish
How to Talk to Others About Gun Safety 8.5 × 11 Flyer: English / Spanish
Ways to Safely Store Guns (Devices) 8.5 × 11 Flyer: English / Spanish
SECONDARY AND ELEMENTARY IPR (Interim Progress Report) and Report Card Dates
Elementary IPR dates viewable by 10 AM:
Elementary RC dates viewable by 10 AM:
Secondary IPR dates viewable by 10 AM:
Secondary RC dates viewable by 10 AM:
05/17/2024 (12th graders)
05/25/2024 (6th - 11th graders)
To view your student’s IPR/ Report Card, login to MyKaty Cloud and select the Home Access (HAC) tile:
Select the “Grades” icon – IPR or Report Card Tab
5:00 PM - 11:59 PM Regular Board Meetings
5:30 PM Cross Country @ SLJH
5:30 PM - 7:00 PM Watch DOGs Dads meeting
October 2, 2023
October 3, 2023