Open Records Instructions
How to Make a Public Information Request
Your request must be in writing and addressed to the Officer for Public Information. Only written requests trigger a governmental body's obligations under the Public Information Act. Requests made by facsimile or electronic mail must be addressed to the Office of Public Records in order to trigger an obligation under the Texas Public Information Act.
- Provide your full name and contact information, including email/or fax (if available).
- For student records, all requests must be accompanied by photo identification.
- Provide a heading for your correspondence that reads Public Information Request.
- Provide a detailed, precise description of the nature and scope of information you are seeking.
- Requests should be for documents or other information that is already in existence.
Governmental bodies are not required to answer questions, perform legal research, or comply with a continuing request to supply information on a periodic basis as such information is prepared in the future.
Please cooperate with Katy ISD's reasonable efforts to clarify the type or amount of information requested.
Texas Public Information Act requests may be filed in five different ways: