Katy ISD District of Innovation
What is a "District of Innovation"?
House Bill 1842, passed by the 84th Legislature, provides local school districts the flexibility to obtain exemptions from certain provisions in the Texas Education Code that are currently available to open-enrollment charter schools.
The Katy ISD Board of Trustees first approved the District's first District of Innovation/Local Innovation Plan with a unanimous vote at their January 2017 meeting. The plan reflected exemptions for the school start date, teacher certification and designated campus behavior coordinators.
A new plan beginning in the 2022-2023 school year was approved on January 24, 2022 and includes the previous three exemptions, while adding exemptions for student suspension, attendance for class credit or final grade, and excused absences (related to college visits).
- District of Innovation Board Policy (AF)
- Texas Education Code Chapter 12A
- Resolution to Initiate the Process to Designate Katy ISD as District of Innovation
- Innovation Plan Committee
- Notification to the Commissioner of the Board's Intent to Vote
Public Hearing - District of Innovation - October 25, 2021
- Feedback, questions or comments can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org