Katy ISD Book Review Frequently Asked Questions
- Consistent with existing state law, Katy ISD has mechanisms in place for parents to request an informal or formal review of instructional resources (i.e. textbooks, supplemental materials, library books).
- The District does not deny access to, nor remove, library books based on a subject with which some people may disagree.
- Katy ISD has library collections comprised of over 390,000 titles. The District has removed 14 titles found to violate the “pervasively vulgar” standard outlined in the policy.
- What kinds of instructional resources can be requested for review in Katy ISD?
Any instructional resource available in a Katy ISD classroom or library can be requested to be reviewed.
- Are instructional resources reviewed for content or subject matter?
Books may be reviewed for content that violates Board policy, or to ensure subject matter and grade level alignment.
- Are instructional resources removed for subject matter?
No, books are not removed for subject matter, though they may be designated for certain grade levels based on subject matter appropriateness.
- Board Policies EFA Local- Instructional Materials and EFB Local- Library Materials
At their September 25, 2023, Board meeting, the Trustees approved updates to the policies for EFA Local- Instructional Materials and EFB Local- Library Materials.
Updated: Sunday, March 3, 2024