Katy ISD Book Review Frequently Asked Questions
- Consistent with existing state law, Katy ISD has mechanisms in place for parents to request an informal or formal review of instructional resources (i.e. textbooks, supplemental materials, library books).
- The District does not deny access to, nor remove, library books based on a subject with which some people may disagree.
- Katy ISD Policy EF (Legal & Local) allows school districts to remove materials if the instructional resource is determined to be “pervasively vulgar.”
- Informally and formally challenged instructional materials and library books are reviewed by a committee of educators.
- Katy ISD has library collections comprised of over 390,000 titles. The District has removed 10 books, or approximately 0.003% of titles, found to violate the “pervasively vulgar” standard outlined in the policy.
- What Katy ISD Board Policy governs Book Reviews?
EF (Legal) & EF (Local)
- What types of instructional resource reviews are conducted by the District? Two types of instructional resource review processes are available to parents. Parents may request an informal review through the Partners with Parents (PWP) APP, or they may request a formal review that aligns with the steps outlined in the policy EF Local Reconsideration of Instructional Materials.
- What kinds of instructional resources can be requested for review in Katy ISD?
Any instructional resource available in a Katy ISD classroom or library can be requested to be reviewed.
- Are instructional resources reviewed for content or subject matter?
Books may be reviewed for “pervasively vulgar" content that violates Board policy, or to ensure subject matter and grade level alignment.
- Are instructional resources removed for subject matter?
No, books are not removed for subject matter, though they may be designated for certain grade levels based on subject matter appropriateness.
- How is “pervasively vulgar" defined?
“Pervasively vulgar" content is defined as lewd or profane and spread throughout. One example of pervasively vulgar content would include references to explicitly graphic sex acts.
- Who can request a instructional resources review?
Parents/guardians with a concern regarding an instructional resource are encouraged to contact their child's campus, or submit an informal review via the Partner with Parents app.
- During an informal or formal book review challenge, do the books remain available for student access?
During an informal review, the book under review remains in circulation and available for student access.
During a formal review, the book under review is temporarily unavailable for student library check out, pending the outcome of the review committee's determination.
- Who serves on informal or formal book review committees?
Book review committees are comprised of Katy ISD educators. In the case of a formal review, the committee would include a representative group of parents.
- How many books have been permanently removed from Katy ISD classrooms and/or libraries this school year?
Ten (10) books have been removed from library shelves as a result of a Book Review outcome.
As of 2/17/2022