Katy ISD Book Review Frequently Asked Questions
- Consistent with existing state law, Katy ISD has mechanisms in place for parents to request an informal or formal review of instructional resources (i.e. textbooks, supplemental materials, library books).
- The District does not deny access to, nor remove, library books based on a subject with which some people may disagree.
- Katy ISD has library collections comprised of over 390,000 titles. The District has removed 12 titles found to violate the “pervasively vulgar” standard outlined in the policy.
- What kinds of instructional resources can be requested for review in Katy ISD?
Any instructional resource available in a Katy ISD classroom or library can be requested to be reviewed.
- Are instructional resources reviewed for content or subject matter?
Books may be reviewed for “pervasively vulgar" content that violates Board policy, or to ensure subject matter and grade level alignment.
- Are instructional resources removed for subject matter?
No, books are not removed for subject matter, though they may be designated for certain grade levels based on subject matter appropriateness.
- How many books have been permanently removed from Katy ISD classrooms and/or libraries this school year?
Twelve (12) books have been removed from library shelves as a result of a Book Review outcome.