Academic Counseling, College & Career Guidance
The Katy ISD guidance and counseling department consists of 54 elementary counselors, 134 secondary counselors, and 10 college and career facilitators that service over 90,000 students at 74 campuses. Our program is committed to delivering a comprehensive school counseling program. In addition to developmental guidance instruction, counselors utilize their specialized skills to counsel individuals and small groups, providing a more targeted level of intervention and support.
Throughout the day, students can access their counselor(s) by making an appointment or asking their teacher to visit the counseling office. In collaboration with parents and other educators, counselors often consult regarding a student’s immediate need or concern, to identify the best method of intervention. All of our counselors are trained to support students who may be exhibiting signs of a possible mental health crisis. If you feel that your child may need mental health support, please reach out to your school counselor for assistance. Your counselor is here to assist you and your child to attain their academic, career, social, and emotional goals. Please contact your child’s campus counselor if you have any questions.
Katy ISD has a College and Career Facilitator (CCF) on each high school campus. The goal of the facilitator is to assist students in preparing for life after high school, whether that is college, trade school, military, or the workforce. The CCF will provide services to assist students and their families in maximizing their educational experiences and exploring their college, career, and military readiness (CCMR) opportunities.
Counselors are divided alphabetically by last name and serve students from 9-12th grade. SENIORS and senior parents, please note your assigned counselor for college applications & recommendations.
The Role of the School Counselor
- Counsel individuals and small groups of students to meet identified needs.
- Deliver the guidance curriculum and assist teachers with the school's guidance curriculum.
- Consult with parents, teachers, and other staff regarding concerns about students' needs.
- Coordinate people and resources in the community for the benefit of students.
- Participate in planning, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive developmental guidance and counseling program to serve all students.
- Be familiar with and adhere to the ethical, legal, and professional standards of the counseling profession.
- Speak UP is an anonymous reporting system that enables Katy ISD students, parents, and community members to anonymously submit safety and well-being tips to help prevent school-related incidents that could cause harm to others.
SchooLinks is a modern, college and career readiness platform to prepare students for what comes after graduation. The program is a tool to assist students in discovering interests and strengths, explore colleges and careers, and create an individualized career and academic plan that best reflects their post-secondary goals. SchooLinks is accessible in 6th-12th grades by students and their parents through MyKaty Cloud. The program features are user-friendly and are designed to streamline the college and career readiness workflow for counselors and staff.
Using SchooLinks, students and families can:
- Access career interest, strength, and mindset surveys
- Explore 2-year and 4-year colleges
- Create course plans based on career pathways
- Take virtual reality college campus tours
- Search for scholarships
- Learn about financial aid
- Find internship and volunteer opportunities
- Explore traditional, emerging, and military career fields
- Create digital portfolios/resumes
- Communicate with counselors
- Create a Personal Graduation Plan
To access SchooLinks, login to myKaty Cloud and select the SchooLinks application.
SpeakUP is an anonymous reporting system that enables Katy ISD students, parents, and community members to anonymously submit safety and well-being tips to help prevent school-related incidents that could cause harm to others.
Katy Connect Hotline 281-234-2326
National TEEN LINE Teens Helping Teens 1-800-852-8336
National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-237-8255
Crisis Counselor Text HOME to 741741 to connect
Teen Decisions - Ready with customized career and college planning tools.
Gear Up Games and Activities for Career Exploration
Students can scan the QR code to request to speak with their counselor.
Katy ISD ORIGINAL CREDIT- KATY VIRTUAL SCHOOL Registration
Katy ISD ORIGINAL CREDIT summer list
Registration is open for summer 2023, fall 2023 and spring 2024