If a student is absent for any reason, a parent or guardian must report the reason for absence to the Front Office. This can be done via phone, email, note, doctor’s note, or by completing the online attendance reporting form.
All absences are considered unexcused until the parent/guardian has contacted attendance and any required documentation is received by the front office.
Doctor Note Required/Failure to Attend Letters - When a student’s absence for personal illness exceeds 5 consecutive days or a total of 8 days in a six-month period, the student shall present an original “doctor’s excuse” for any additional absences due to illness. For this reason, it is best to provide a doctor's note whenever possible.
STUDENT CHECK-IN AND CHECK-OUT
- Students are REQUIRED to check in and out of school through the Front Office.
- Students may NOT leave the campus or building at any time or for any reason during the school day without checking out through the Front Office.
- Parent/guardian checkout or written permission from a parent/guardian is required for any students to leave campus. If the note does not state a reason, the absence will be “unexcused” until proper documentation is received.
WHO CAN CHECK OUT A STUDENT?
Only a person specified as parent/guardian on their student enrollment card may check a student out of school or authorize another individual to pick up the student for them.
- Parent/guardian: Parents/guardians listed on the enrollment card may check their students out. They must come to the front office with their photo ID.
- Authorized adult: If a parent/guardian wants someone other than a parent/guardian to check their student out from school, they must send an email to RKEOffice@katyisd.org with a copy of their driver's license and the full name of the authorized person. The request must be received prior to 2:45pm. NOTE: This applies even if the person is an emergency contact.
REQUEST FOR SPECIAL ABSENCE
Occasionally, a student needs to be absent for a special reason (i.e. family trip, sports event, etc.). The student should obtain a Pre-Arranged Absence Form from the Front Office prior to the absence. The completed form may be returned to the Front Office or to the grade level principal for a status determination (excused or unexcused).
VIEWING YOUR STUDENT’S ATTENDANCE RECORDS
To view absences for your students, go to Home Access Center and select the Attendance Tab. Days with absences will be color coded. To see detailed information, hover over the date to see the reason.
If a student has 3 unexcused absences in a 4-week period or 10 unexcused absences in 6 months, the parent will receive a Compulsory Attendance Notification. The parent should contact the front office to correct any errors. If the absences are not corrected and unexcused absences continue, further Truancy Prevention Measures may be taken. This is the first warning in the process.
ATTENDANCE FOR CREDIT
In addition to compulsory attendance, a student must attend at least 90 percent of the days the class is offered to receive credit. These absences include excused and unexcused absences.
For detailed information regarding attendance policies, please refer to the Discipline Management Plan and Student Code of Conduct, and the Student Handbook