WORLD LANGUAGES (LOTE)
World Language curriculum and instruction provides each student with the knowledge and skills necessary to become life-long language learners and to acquire a level of proficiency in a world language. This is accomplished by immersing the student in another language and culture; by equipping them with strategies necessary to be able to communicate in another language; and with the ability to value and understand other cultures.
- World Language instruction focuses on communicating and becoming proficient in another language.
- Application of language skills learned in meaningful, real-life situations is key to developing the ability to communicate in another language.
- World Language classrooms replicate the environment in the target language culture by providing culturally appropriate experiences and instruction in the target language 90% of the time.
The languages are offered at the high school level are:
- Spanish for Spanish Speakers
- American Sign Language
The languages are offered at the junior high school level are:
- Spanish 1A/ 1B
- Spanish 1 Accelerated
- Spanish for Spanish Speakers 1
Lead with Languages video
Español para hispanohablantes Katy ISD Video
American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Proficiency Guidelines
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for LOTE
Texas Education Agency (TEA) for LOTE
- Spanish Club/Honor Society
- French Club
- ASL Club/Honor Society
- German Club/Honor Society
- Chinese National Honor Society
- Japanese Club/National Honor Society
All languages-Farrington competition held in January
German-Houston Fest held in February
Japanese- Japanese Speech contest held in February
Spanish- The Pan American Student Forum of Texas (PASF) held in March
French –French Symposium held in March
*Featured Teacher - Sarah Smith (German at Taylor High School)
*Events - German students recently completed at the State German competition and we had 14 top 5 winners!
*Mayde Creek High School and Tompkins High School students represented Katy ISD at the annual French Symposium competition.
*Congratulations to the following students from Katy High School for their performance on the 2015 National French Contest:
Gold medal – Ricardo Delgado
Silver medal – Denise Messa and Donae Smiles
Bronze medal – Jillian Cae Martinez
Mention d'honneur – Durian Nguyen, Katelyn Lam, Ellen Atkinson, and Frank Priddy