National Honor Society™
National Honor Society (NHS™), established in 1921, is an organization that recognizes student achievement and community engagement. As a high school chapter, the JHS NHS dedicates time towards developing a deep understanding of the four pillars of the National Honor Society: scholarship, service, leadership, and character. The Jordan National Honor Society was founded in the Spring of 2021 with members of the class of 2023 being its inaugural inductees. More information about the National Honor Society can be found at the official national website.
How Do Students Become Members of NHS?
To be considered for membership into NHS, students must qualify as candidates. Qualified students will receive an invitation to provide information to be used by the faculty council to support their candidacy for membership. Membership is granted only to those students selected by the faculty council on the condition of their having met the established standards for selection. At Jordan High School, invitations are sent to qualified students in the Spring semester, generally in late January or early February. Invitations will be sent via Canvas to eligible sophomores and juniors.
Students will be deemed qualified and receive an invitation if the Scholarship Pillar criteria have been met:
- The student is currently in the 10th or 11th grade
- The student has been enrolled at JHS for at least one full semester
- The student has a minimum weighted GPA of 3.75/5.00
Upon receiving the Canvas invitation for membership, students will join the Canvas Candidates Course and have the opportunity to complete and submit a “Candidate Information Packet” for review by the faculty council. The submission of these materials by their specified deadlines
will help demonstrate accomplishments in, and commitment to, the remaining three pillars of NHS: Leadership, Service, and Character.
Items included in the Candidate Information Packet will have benchmark due dates to aid students in completing items in a timely manner, as well as allow an opportunity for feedback from the NHS adviser(s). Overdue/missing assignment notifications from Canvas will also serve as feedback to the candidate. The final submission deadline for all materials will be stated in the Canvas course. Failure to submit all required materials could result in student ineligibility.
The faculty council will review the Candidate Information Packet for each student and consider each candidate separately. New members will be selected based on their demonstration of sufficient service, leadership, and character. The pillars below outline what a candidate will need to do or provide when completing the candidate materials.
Candidates will demonstrate service by:
- Reading and accepting the Service Hour Guidelines for NHS members
- Creating an x2VOL NHS account when prompted to do so in the Canvas course. *Do not attempt to join the JHS NHS X2Vol account at this time. During the material submission process, Canvas will instruct students how to join the JHS NHS Candidate group in X2Vol. If selected to join NHS, students will then be able to join the NHS JHS Class of 2023 or 2024 X2Vol Group.
- Completing at least 10 community service hours within the past calendar year. Once you have been admitted into the X2Vol Candidate group, you will input your 10 service hours; however, you will not need to provide proof/verification of those hours as a candidate.
Candidates will demonstrate leadership through:
- A student resume / Candidate Information Form
- Four teacher recommendations
- Community service hours
Candidates will demonstrate character by:
- Meeting all established deadlines and requirements for the candidacy process
- Successful completion of the Academic Integrity Pledge
- School discipline records, including those of academic dishonesty
- Teacher recommendations
- Student resume or Candidate Information Form
- Community service hours
What Happens Next?
Notification of selection or non-selection will be sent on a specified date to candidates via Canvas. The notification letters will contain the next steps in each scenario. Selected candidates will receive a “new membership” packet and information on induction. Non-selected candidates will receive information on the appeal process should they wish to pursue their candidacy further.
To remain an active member in good standing with the Jordan National Honor Society, the student must:
- Attend their induction ceremony
- Pay annual dues of $20 ($40 for two years of membership)
- Maintain all standards evaluated during the candidacy process in alignment with the pillars of scholarship, service, leadership, and character
- Attend all required meetings
- Participate in all chapter service projects
- Complete required annual community service hours
Members who do not remain in good standing will be subject to discipline or dismissal procedures. Members who are in good standing at graduation will become alumni members of the chapter.
Current NHS Members:
Check Canvas for all information on chapter meetings, service guidelines, X2Vol, and the chapter's bylaws.
William Clouse, Room 2059
Julia Robison, Room 2055
™ “National Honor Society and NHS are duly registered trademarks of the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP). Unauthorized copying or use of said trademarks is strictly prohibited.”