The Franz family established its roots in Katy not long after David Peter Franz moved to America during the 1800s to flee military conscription laws in Prussia. The family originally settled in the great plains, farming in Nebraska and Colorado before moving to Katy in 1896 to open a jewelry-malting business. Shortly after moving to Katy; David Peter purchased 160 acres of land in the area that is currently north of 1-10 near the intersection of Mason Road and Franz Road. The land was eventually divided among family members and many of David Peter's grandchildren farmed the land.
The Franz family has always valued education, with four generations -- 26 Franz descendants -- educated in Katy ISD. In addition, many family members have been involved in the district in ways other than earning a diploma. C.C. Franz, served as president of the Addicks school Board at the time when Katy ISD and Addicks ISD consolidated. Doris Franz Boucher and Bernice J. Golbow, have both taught in Katy ISD.
Today the tradition continues as Franz Elementary School honors a family whose roots and dedication to education run deep in the Katy community.