In 1970, Katy ISD completed desegregation of its schools. The Odessa Kilpatrick schools was repurposed and used to house Katy Elementary fifth grade and the District's sixth graders.
Development begins and things begin to change rapidly. Thornwood, on Memorial Drive in Houston became the District's first subdivision.
The new administration building was completed in 1972 on South Stadium Lane where it currently sits to this day. And the Katy High School vocational building was erected.
West Memorial Elementary school was completed in the new West Memorial subdivision.
In 1976, the District's sixth graders move back to the junior high schools when West Memorial Junior High School opened.
During the late 70's the depletion of oil and natural gas in the Katy field and the increased use of lower-priced foreign oil, slowed but did not halt the economy. Diversification in the area's business and industry, and the expansion of its educational and cultural institutions, spurred rapid growth in the West Houston area. (Schmalz)
Katy High School's capacity as expanded in 1977 from 800 to 1,600. And the Board approved the creation of the drill team for the 1977-1978 school year that was to be called the "Red Brigade." (Prior to the start of the school year, the students and advisors changed the name to the "Bengal Brigade." In May, 195 seniors graduated from Katy High School and walked across the stage at Tiger Field.
This same year, Katy High School received a new two-story addition to the front of the 1947 building. it housed new science labs, classrooms, a cafeteria and a new gymnasium.
In 1978, the District opened Zelma Hutsell Elementary, Memorial Parkway Elementary and Bear Creek Elementary Schools. The fifth graders moved from Kilpatrick to the elementary schools and an Alternative education program was set up at the Kilpatrick school.
Serving as superintendent since 1947, James E. Taylor retires at the end of the school year as the District's longest reigning superintendent. In 1979, the second high school opens with 9th and 10th graders and pays him a great honor by naming the school after him.
Gordon Brown takes the reigns as superintendent in 1978.
|1971 - March||6,800,000|
|1971 - A||1,300,000|
1971 - Bond to include: Additions to Katy High School, Elementary School #4, P.E. gymnasium for Addicks Elementary, expansion of athletic facilities (additions to high school stadium with concession stands, restrooms on visitor side, six sections of stadium seats and hard-surface areas at entrances), four hard-surfaced tennis courts, as well as three school sites.
1975 - Schoolhouse Bond Election
Tax Comparison - A $35,000 home during the 1974-75 school term was $1.53 per $100 at 40% or $214.
Katy ISD Enrollment History
|School Year||Student Enrollment|