In 1951 a new Katy elementary school was building next to the secondary school and kindergarten was added. (Adams, 2017) The original 1909 building and the 1927 building were razed. Only the 1934 gym was left standing. A cafeteria and boiler room for the school were also completed and in use. Walkways were covered and tennis courts were finished.
In 1953, under the administration of James E. Taylor, the small wooden school building for African American students on Danover street was discarded and a large, modern brick building was erected. the Odessa Kilpatrick school was comprised of classrooms, an auditorium and a cafeteria. The new building costs $140,000.
A new band building was completed and was one of the few rooms with air-conditioning. It was one of the most modern band buildings of its kind at the time.
In 1954, Katy ISD had 36 staff members during the 1953-54 school year. They taught 553 students from kinder through 12th grade in the areas of: general education, social studies, music, English, band, science, industrial arts, mathematic, vocational agriculture, art, home economics, physical education, business and yes, even Spanish. There were also three teachers at the African American school and they taught 62 students in grades kinder through 7th.
The district had ten school buses that traveled approximately 315 miles every day. The district pledged at the time that all Katy ISD students were entitled to ride the bus to school no matter where they lived. And they transported nearly every student in the district.
News of L.D. Robinson's Katy FFA Chapter and Agriculture Science Program was making history and had begun headlining in papers across the country. One headline from the State FFA Convention Newspaper in 1955, read, "Can You Top This- 12 Years of Progress of the Katy F.F.A." It was even more significant because the paper featured only the Katy ISD FFA chapter and not other chapters as it had regularly done.