During the early 40s, Katy ISD taught students in first through 11th grade. Curriculum consisted of math, band, typing, English, Spanish, civics, and home economics.
From 1940 to 1942, D. H. Blackmon was superintendent. During this time, the twelfth grade was added and Tiger Field was built on the north side of the property.
The first 17 seniors graduated in 1941. During the 1942-43 school year, the mascot was changed from the Kangaroos to the Tigers.
In 1942, J.A. Marshall, the Texas Education Agency's Director of Vocational Agriculture recruited L.D. "Dean" Robinson to come to Katy and become the FFA Advisor and vocational agriculture teacher. At the time, the TEA was planning to shut down the program. Instead, Mr. Robinson had big plans. Plans that included an FFA chapter agriculture science farm that would be operated by the FFA members and students and a local livestock show and rodeo. The program was to become the first known full service program of its kind on a local school level in the nation. The first Katy Rodeo was held at Avenue D and 10th street in 1943.
The 1943-44 school year turned out a six-man bi-district football team. The Vocational Agricultural and Shop building was built in 1944.
On January 1, 1943, the Humble Oil Co. opened the Katy Gas Plant. That July the Katy gas reserves BTUs were equivalent to one billion barrels of oil. (Adams, 2012)
The impact of the gas plant was far reaching. The population doubled in Katy grew from 400 to 800 in just one year. The taxes provided Katy ISD the funds to build new schools and upgrade equipment.
One hundred acres was purchased from J. Cope and J.A. Bartlett on Highway 90 to build a new set of schools. Emory S. White was hired to design the new campus and a contract was signed with Linbeck & Dedrick on construction. (Adams, 2012) Due to the growth, students not only enjoyed the new school but the expanded curriculum opportunities.
Tiger Field was laid out and lights and seats were installed the same year. The FFA built a hog and shoop barn and a large rodeo arena with stands and seating facilities.
L.D. Robinson was offered by the school board to take over as superintendent in 1947. Due to his love and dedication to the classroom, the Katy FFA, and the agriculture education program, he declined and recommended his friend and colleague James E. Taylor for the position. Taylor was hired as the superintendent in 1947 and held the role for 31 years.
In 1947, construction was completed on the new Katy High School site on Highway 90. The building also housed the seventh and eighth graders. At this time, high school students from Addicks Independent School District and Brookshire begin attending Katy High. The high school included a gymnasium, cafeteria and a temporary wooden band building.
By 1948, a forty by one hundred foot round-top livestock barn were erected to be used in connection with the vocational agriculture projects. The following year a large auditorium with a seating capacity of 800 was completed.