Mr. M. M. Byrom presided over Katy ISD as the Superintendent through 1937. During his tenure, School District 41, the Cobb, South Mayde, and Stockdick schools consolidated with the Katy ISD and the district grew to include 126 square miles.
Although wild cattle and horses were still a commonality in the Katy area in the 30s, the size of the district required the purchase of two school buses. One transported students in from Waller County and the other from Harris County. Two male teachers were hired to serve as teachers, coaches and bus drivers. Mrs. Morgan drove her own vehicle to pick up the six students that resided in the Fort Bend County portion of the district.
Katy ISD consisted of a two-story brick school that housed Kindergarten through 11th grade. The 11th grade were the schools seniors. All student were housed in the same 2-story brick building.
Katy ISD schools in the 1930s had many similarities to schools today. Recess and physical activity were still very important to a child's education. (Especially in a town where agriculture was still a thriving business.) Students collaborated, read to one another and offered different perspectives on the topics about which they were learning.
Parent Teacher Associations were important to the community even back then. In addition, the Katy school often provided entertainment for the community in the form of plays and music performances.
In 1934, high school students from Brookshire began attending Katy High School where there were 263 students, of those about 100 were in high school. A gymnasium was built for basketball and volleyball to be played under light at night. The gym was also used as a community center.
A larger wooden-school house was completed on Danover Street for the African-American students and Odessa Kilpatrick was hired to teach them.
From 1938-1940 the African-American School was enlarged, the first football team was established and Mrs. Ben Beckendorff was hired to run the lunchroom that was built in 1939.