1919 and 1920s
The Beginning of Katy ISD
Residents voted to establish the Katy Independent School District (Katy ISD) in the spring of 1918, but the state of Texas prohibited an independent district that included two or more counties. In 1919, local businessman W. H. Weller - representing the citizens of Katy- went before the court of county school commissioners and petitioned for a new district for Katy. (CITE 2) The court granted the request and the Katy Independent School District (Katy ISD) was established.
At that time, the district only extended about 3-miles east and 3-miles west of the town of Katy, 5-miles south and 2-miles north of the town site of Katy.The district included the two buildings in town and incorporated the rural Hennessey, Dishman, Sills, McGinnis and Schlipf schools and the Negro School, which was moved into town to meet at the Antioch Baptist Church. Students who lived in the country came to school by horse and buggy or horseback. To accommodate the horses, there was a barn beside the school. At noon, the children would have to feed their horses as well as themselves. With an hour for lunch, those living in town would walk home. Others could either buy a lunch for five cents, bring a sack lunch. Some of them chose to go to one of the stores in town for candy. (CITE 2)
Trustees for the new district were J. Cope, T. H. Wallace, F. R. Hoyt, C. E. Hegler, F. A. Poorman, S. J. Porter, and John Sills. Perry A. Poorman was appointed temporary chairman, John Cope was elected president by a free vote. T.H. Wallace was elected secretary by a full vote. T. E. Hoyt was elected treasurer by a full vote.
J. B. Oliphant was the first Katy ISD superintendent and new teachers; Mr. and Mrs. A. K. Hogue, Daisey Smith, Gail Laphan, N. Ball, and J. W. Parten were hired. (CITE 5)