Online Instructor Certification
Katy ISD offers a TXVSN approved course titled Online Instructor Certification.. Currently, the course is only offered to Katy ISD staff. This course prepares teachers to be an instructor for TxVSN.
This course is designed to prepare the participant to make the transition from the face-to-face academic environment to the virtual environment. Instruction will be provided on designing and developing the online course, as well as managing the active course. Throughout the six-week course, participants will create an ongoing product that contains the components of an online lesson or module.
The following concepts will be the primary focus of the Online Instructor Certification course:
- Frequently asked questions when managing an online course
- Alignment with TEKS requirements
- How to benefit from the virtual community to perpetuate improvement of your course
- Best practices when designing an online course
- Develop a learning module consistent with the essential standards of the Quality Matters™ Rubric
- Develop learning experiences that demonstrate understanding of the foundation of online instruction
- Understand the importance of promoting clear expectations and prompt communication with students and parents
- Develop and model hosting techniques for required instructional sessions
Promote and model legal, ethical and safe behavior in the online classroom and with technology
- Understand diversity of student academic needs and learning styles in the online classroom
- Understand the importance of creating valid and reliable online assessments that meet and assess progress toward established learning goals