Katy ISD Parents as Observers in Canvas
Who has access?
At this time, parents and guardians of students at the following schools can log into Canvas using their HAC user name and password. Campuses will notify parents as each one adds this feature.
High Schools: CRHS, KHS, KVS, MCHS, MCTC, MRHS, OTHS, PHS, SLHS, THS
Junior High Schools: All
Elementary Schools: BCE, BHE, GE, JEE, JWE, MGE, OKE, MCE, RAE, RJWE, TWE, WCE, WME
What is Canvas?
Canvas is a learning management system (LMS) that allows teachers to provide instructional support, class calendars, assignments and resources for students in a safe online environment. For traditional face to face classes, Canvas is a integral part of sharing blended classroom instruction. All courses in the Katy ISD Virtual School are completely hosted in Canvas where students access their online course and their Katy ISD teacher. All Canvas courses are developed by Katy ISD and are aligned to the Katy ISD Curriculum including the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
What is an Observer role in Canvas?
Observers have limited permissions that allow them to see what is going on in a course and a calendar of assignments. Like students, Observers cannot view a course until it is published and the course has started. For assistance with Assignments, Test Dates, Quizzes, or other Canvas course content, please contact your child’s teacher.
What can Parents view in Canvas?
Below are the features available to Parents. Please note that not all courses use all features.
- Set your Notifications
- View the Dashboard
- View the course Syllabus
- View prompts but not participate in Discussions
- View but not submit Assignments
- Preview and download some Files
- View the Modules Page
- View Canvas Grades
- View the Calendar
- Communicate with the teacher
How will Parents access Canvas?
- The link to the Canvas login is located at http://katyisd.instructure.com. Please remember to bookmark the Canvas login website for future quick and easy access.
- Your username and password are the same as your Home Access Center (HAC) account. For information on the HAC, click here.
- If you are experiencing trouble with your HAC login or password, please contact your home student's campus..
- Parents should not use their student's log in credentials.
- The Canvas app is available in Google Play and the App Store for tablets and smartphones. Windows devices use the browser.
- Canvas is new to the District and campuses are developing plans for parents as observers. If your child's campus has provided information about Observers in Canvas this page will provide you with information for accessing Canvas.
How can I learn more about being an Observer in Canvas?
Please view the Parent Observer Guide.pdf
2015 Parent Canvas App Login.pdf