External Online Providers
Texas Virtual School Network (TxVSN) is a District approved external provider. Students may take an online course from TxVSN if a similar course is not offered by the Katy ISD Virtual School. Visit the Katy ISD Virtual School Registration and Cost page to locate a list of courses.
Prior to enrolling through TxVSN, students must visit with their counselor to gain written approval for the course. Not all courses offered by TxVSN are approved for credit towards graduation requirements. Katy ISD does not recognize online science courses for original credit.
Katy ISD no longer accepts online credit from TexasTech.
Steps for Enrollment in an Online Course from an External Provider
- Consult with your Counselor about the best online course options for you prior to completing enrollment forms.
- Students must follow KISD prerequisites as noted in the KISD course catalog prior to enrollment
- Choose the course from the TxVSN catalog.
- Complete and enter all required information on the Application to Enroll in an Online Course.pdf If you do not have the required information, obtain it from your counselor’s office.
- Submit completed requests to your Counselor’s office by the required date.. Late requests will not be accepted. You will be notified of course approval or denial by the counselor’s office by the published date. For dates, check the KatyOnline calendar.
- Submit payment prior to enrollment. Students will not be enrolled in a course without completing the payment process.
- All courses must be approved by your campus counselor and designated campus administrator.
Grades from external online providers will display on Progress Reports and Report Cards and will be used in determining UIL and extra-curricular eligibility.
Dropping a Course
Students must notify the course provider and the Katy ISD TxVSN Site Coordinator if a course is dropped. A course must be officially dropped or it will remain an active course and a grade will be posted to the student's Progress Report and Report Card. Grades will affect UIL and extra-curricular eligibility. Courses that have not been dropped and are listed as incomplete are subject to being finalized by the instructor and provider. Official Semester Grade Reports that have been finalized will be placed on your transcript and calculated into your GPA.
Online Providers and Approved Courses
- TxVSN is the approved external provider for current Katy ISD students.
- Courses may have limited seats. Students will be enrolled in courses based on the date of Application Receipt. Failure to submit payment will delay student's enrollment into a TxVSN course. Late payment submission may cause a student to miss the designated enrollment date set by course provider.
- Students may only enroll in two AP semesters during the summer.
- Students may enroll in up to three academic semesters during the summer.
- Students are responsible for all course fees, textbooks and resource materials required for course from external providers. Katy ISD will not provide textbooks, additional required reading materials, or technology.
- All final exams must be proctored by KISD teachers or administrators on KISD campuses. No exceptions. Students who do not follow Katy ISD guidelines regarding online course exams are subject to having their exams and courses voided. Student and Parent(s) are liable for any additional costs that may occur with the possibility of retaking their online course final exam.
- Students are responsible for verifying that courses meet NCAA requirements should they be considering participating in NCAA activities after graduation. Student athletes who take online coursework may not meet core course requirements for NCAA eligibility. Consult your counselor for more information.
- Prior to applying, do the following:
- Read course descriptions and syllabus.
- Understand the course requirements and commitments (found in course details or syllabus).
- Check course dates. Course dates are set by the provider and not Katy ISD.