Google Chrome: How to Update Your Browser
Note to Students: if using a Chromebook, scroll down to the Chromebook section on this page.
Note to Staff: This is only available at certain times of the year with Katy ISD desktops and laptops. So please be sure to do this in August.
How to Update Google Chrome Browser on a Desktop or Laptop Computer
- In Chrome, click menu (three dots) > Help > About Google Chrome. You can also type chrome://settings/help into Chrome's location box and press Enter.
- Note: If you don't see the 3 dots and see a yellow circle with an exclamation mark, install the extensions that are needed and then you will see the 3 dots.
- Chrome will check for any updates and immediately download them as soon as you open the About Google Chrome page.
- If Chrome has already downloaded and is waiting to install an update, the menu icon will change to an up arrow and take on one of three colors, depending on how long the update has been available:
- Green: An update has been available for two days
- Orange: An update has been available for four days
- Red: An update has been available for seven days
- After the update has installed - or if it's been waiting for a few days -click Relaunch to finish the update process.
Warning: Make sure you save anything you're working on. Chrome reopens the tabs that were open before the relaunch but doesn't save any of the data contained in them.
- If you'd rather wait to restart Chrome and finish up the work you're doing, just close the tab. Chrome will install the update the next time you close and reopen it.
Chromebooks: Checking for Updates