American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course
Katy ISD offers several lifeguard training courses throughout the year. These courses are open to anyone who is 15 years of age and older. Participants also must be able to pass a prerequisite swim test which has been set by the American Red Cross. The details for this swim test are listed below.
To Enroll in a Lifeguarding Course:
Please use the "Lifeguard Training Registration Form" found under Links on the right side of this page.
Mail a check for the registration fee of $200 made payable to Katy ISD.
Send registration form and check to: Katy ISD Athletics, Sara Guthrie, Aquatics Coordinator at Legacy Stadium ~ 1830 Katyland Dr. Katy TX 77493.
A confirmation email will be send back to the participant when registered.
*The minimum number to have in a class is 6, if the registration number does not reach at least 6 participants the class will be cancelled. The maximum number of participants is 12 per class.
All our Lifeguard Training Courses are now Blended Learning. This means all videos and lecture must be completed on-line before the first day of " Skills Sessions". To access the web-based blended learning portion of the course click on the link below. You will need to create a log-in ID and Password. Also for this link to open you will need to turn off pop-up blocker in your tool bar. Once you have completed the on-line portion of this course please print the "Completion Report" or the confirmation email and bring it with you to the skills sessions.
Blended Learning Link & Begin your On-Line Lifeguarding Course
To complete the course and receive a certificate participants must pass a written exam with 80% correct and pass skills test scenarios. The American Red Cross Lifeguard Certificate includes CPR, First Aid, AED and Lifeguarding for a 2 year period.
|Fall 2019 Lifeguard Training Course||Friday, November 8|
Saturday, November 9
Sunday, November 10
|3 pm - 5 pm|
8 am - 6 pm
8 am - 6 pm
|Perequisiste Swim Test|
Video, Lecture, Skills Practice
Skills Practice, Testing
To call for questions regarding the Lifeguarding Course please contact Sara Guthrie, Aquatics Coordinator @ 281-396-7779 or email at SaraNGuthrie@KatyISD.org.
Please check this web-page before each course for updates and/or changes on skills sessions .
Address for Training Sites:
Patricia E. Paetow High School (PHS)
23111 Stockdick School Rd.
Katy, TX 77493
Natatorium is on the west side of the school past the track. Meet in the "Team Room" inside the natatorium (across from the bleachers)
Morton Ranch High School (MRHS)
21000 Franz Road
Katy, TX 77449
Natatorium is on the east side of the school behind the gym. The natatorium shares a parking lot with the track.
Please be prepared for the following before the skills sessions:
Bring the Completion Report stating the participant has completed all on-line lessons. If a participant does not show this report prior to the prerequisite swim test the participant will not be allowed to start the skills sessions.
Come ready to swim. Girls need to wear a sport swim suit. Boys need to wear swim trunks. All swim wear should be appropriate school attire.
A dry change of clothes is recommended.
Two towels each day
Goggles are needed during underwater skills practice on all days of training
Participants are welcome to bring food/snacks and drinks however a lunch break will be given sometime between 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. on full days and depending on the progress of the class.
Participant's should download the Lifeguard Manual (link is on the right of this page). Please review the manual prior to starting class. Hard copies of the manual will be available during the course but are not provided to participants to keep.
Prerequisite Swim Test - This test is given at the beginning of the skills session. The skills listed below must be met to continue in the course.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both strokes. Swimming on the back or side is not permitted. Swim goggles may be worn during this portion of the prerequisite swim test.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not permitted during this portion of the prerequisite swim test.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.