We are thrilled to inform you that our school has been named to the 2018 list of America’s Healthiest Schools by the Alliance for a Healthier Generation!
MayDell Jenks Elementary has been working with Healthier Generation’s Healthy Schools Program to improve our policies and practices that affect student health.
Why are we focusing on health? A healthy school is vital to preparing students for success. Because children spend most of their time at school, schools can be part of the solution by providing healthy food and physical activity opportunities, which positively affect students’ academic and lifelong success. Studies show that healthy students perform better on tests, get better grades, attend school more often and behave better in class.
We chose to work with the Alliance for a Healthier Generation because their Healthy Schools Program uses an evidence-based framework to create sustainable healthy changes in the school environment that benefit students and staff.
To ensure that these changes are long-lasting, we need your help! Parents are an important part of our school community and we invite you to be part of the healthy changes we’re making by:
· ~ Joining the PTA and organizing a healthy fundraiser
· ~ Attending a CATCH Event
· ~ Sending a healthy snack to school
· ~ Serving healthy meals at home that reinforce what our school nutrition program is teaching students about how to eat healthfully
· ~ Being a healthy role model for your child by making time to be physically active, drinking plenty of water, and choosing healthy options for meals and snacks
· ~ Telling us how you’d like to be involved!
Thank you for supporting us and your child in continuing to make MayDell Jenks Elementary one of America’s Healthiest Schools!
Kash Aleem, Adrianne Hoffman and Michael Kier
MJE Physical Education Team
Texas Honor Roll School
On behalf of the MayDell Jenks Elementary school community, I want to congratulate you and your children! Our school was recently recognized as a 2017 - 2018 Educational Results Partnership (ERP) Honor Roll School for our high achievement and student success! The Honor Roll program, sponsored by the Institute for Productivity in Education (IPE), is part of a national effort to identify higher-performing schools and districts that are improving student outcomes. Jenks is one of 729 public schools in Texas to be recognized.
The 2017 - 2018 ERP Honor Roll utilizes public school student achievement data to identify successful schools and districts. Our school stands above others in the state because of our demonstrated ability to get students to grade level achievement and beyond.
Schools that receive the ERP Honor Roll distinction have demonstrated consistent high levels of student academic achievement, improvement in achievement levels over time, and a reduction in achievement gaps among student populations.
Here a few important facts about the ERP Honor Roll:
· It’s the only award given in collaboration with business leaders
· It includes graduation and dropout rate data
· It establishes a higher bar of performance than any other award
· It is conducted by Educational Results Partnership, a nonprofit organization that maintains the nation’s largest database on student achievement
We did not apply for this award. Our results led them to us! Because of our accomplishment, we will be featured on the ERP Honor Roll website and a banner has been designed for us to hang proudly at our school.
We are thankful for the hard work of our students and teachers here at Jenks. This recognition is a testament to the sustained focus on academic results and commitment to student success that our school and parent community have shown over the years.
Again, congratulations and let’s keep up the great work!