Curriculum & Instruction
The Katy ISD Elementary Curriculum department has a great online resource for parents. Click this link to view the Canvas course: https://katyisd.instructure.com/courses/84117
Homework Policy (Student Handbook)
Homework is an essential part of the academic program at Rhoads Elementary. As such, homework will be assigned on a regular basis. Here is a list of our basic homework guidelines:
• Each grade level will have a homework policy; parents will be made aware of this policy so you will know what to expect;
• Homework is generally not given over the weekend, or holidays, except when a student has make-up work to complete;
• Completed homework will be due and checked daily. Please ensure homework is completed on a daily basis to avoid assignment of after school work opportunity.
• Homework will not be sent home on the first day of a student’s absence. Homework for students who are absent for MORE THAN ONE DAY should be requested before 9:30 a.m. The requested homework may be picked up after 2:00 p.m. at the front office or sent home with another student;
• Please encourage your child to remember his/her papers, books, etc., at the end of the day. Policy does not allow for entry into classrooms without the teacher present. The school doors will be locked at 4:05 p.m. each day.
• Homework will not be due on the day after district assigned "Family Nights" - Wednesdays, September 18, October 16, January 22, and March 4.
After School Work Opportunity
Students who consistently have difficulty completing class work or homework will be assigned after school work opportunity. Parents and teachers will work together to ensure that student work habits are improved. Any students not able to attend an assigned after school work opportunity may be assigned in school suspension (ISS) to ensure the work gets completed.
Information about student computer programs can be found under the Parent Resources tab and under the student portal of the main Katy ISD webpage. Students will need their username and password. Please contact your child's teacher or either of the instructional coaches for assistance with these programs.
Username: Katy ISD Student ID number (i.e. z1234567) (ask teacher)
Password: Student unique password of 4 letters and 4 numbers, starts with kt (ask teacher)
Parents may contact iStation Customer Support directly or contact Jackie Belmarez, Math and Science Instructional Coach, through email or at (281) 237-8563.
iStation Reading Home Access
iStation is an adaptive reading program that is provided by Katy ISD for students in elementary school. Students may use the program at home by downloading it on their personal computer. Click on the icon below to take you to the i-Station instructions page at https://www.istation.com/Support#download
A free app is available at the App Store. Download the app, then enter the default DOMAIN as res.katy.tx.
Dreambox Math Practice
Dreambox (Math) is an adaptive online learning program that deepens students' understanding of critical math concepts and problem-solving skills. Students may access Dreambox through MyKaty Cloud using their Katy ISD ID and password. If there are issues with logging into the program, students may also login directly to www.Dreambox.com using their username and password set by Dreambox. The school code is 2tt4/p33r. This code is also used to access the Dreambox App on iPads. Dreambox will not work on Smartphones or Android Tablets. Students may get their username and password from their math teacher. Parents are discouraged from providing help in answering questions since the program is adaptive and responds to the student's answers. Instructions in both English and Spanish may be found here: Dreambox English.pdf Dreambox Spanish.pdf
Login through Katy Cloud:
- Username: Katy ISD Student ID number (i.e. z1234567)
- Password: Student unique password of 4 letters and 4 numbers, starts with kt (ask teacher), Pre-K and Kindergarteners may have a picture password instead of a numeric one.
- Students will need headphones to listen to the program.
Fastt Math for Basic Facts Practice
Students in grades 1st - 5th may practice their basic math facts daily up to twice a day using the online program, FasttMath, by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Students login through Katy Cloud using their Katy ISD ID and password. They will need headphones to listen to the program. Students are encouraged to use the number pad on the right side of the keyboard to enter their answers since fluency is timed by the program.
Instructions for using FasttMath at home on your home computer, laptops, iPads, and androids may be found here: FASTT MATH Instructions.pdf
If you need assistance with any online programs, please contact Jackie Belmarez, Instructional Coach for Math and Science, at 281-237-8563 (school) or through email.