Welcome to the MPE Library Page !
Lesli Edge (Library Media Specialist )
Theresa Scherer (Library Aide)
The mission of KISD's Library Media Centers is to educate all students to successfully navigate information in the 21st century, empowering them to be proficient, lifelong learners. To execute this mission, library media specialists, administrators, teachers, parents, and the community must collaborate to:
- Provide access to current and relevant resources in multiple formats through an instructional program integrated with the classroom curriculum.
- Ensure that all students, employing a plethora of informational resources, can proficiently locate, address, integrate, evaluate, and communicate information and ideas.
- Maintain a learning environment that stimulates and enriches an appreciation of literature, intellectual freedom, social responsibility, and lifelong learning.
Distance learning Resources:
Student Checkout and Classes
The MPE Library is open for all students from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Monday -Friday. Your library media specialist conducts classes for all grade levels, by homeroom every other week. Pre-K and Kindergarten have class every week. Students also come with their homeroom to check out books every week, and they can also visit individually as needed, with their teacher's permission. The students learn important skills using an online catalog, online resources, and Digital citizenship skills. (They also have a lot of fun!)
- 2nd-5th grade students can check out 2 books with 1 recheck. Bluebonnet books cannot be checked out for more than a week, and no rechecks.
- 1st grade students can check out 1 book. This will change to 2 books second semester.
- Kinder classes will be 30 min long. They will not start checking out books until after the first grading period.
- Pre-K classes will be 15 min long.
In addition to books, students can check out audio books (one per student). If any book, or audio book is damaged or lost, the student is responsible for the entire cost of the item.
We are sponsoring two book fairs this year, one in November one in March. The proceeds from these book fairs help to pay for special author visits and programs. In addition to library classes and author visits, the library also sponsors several reading programs: the Bluebonnet Reading Program, a Texas-wide reading incentive program for grades 3-5; The 2X2 state wide reading incentive for K-2nd grade which starts in the second semester, and Reading Clubs for selected grade levels, offered at various stages of the year;.
LOOKING FOR A FUN VOLUNTEER ASSIGNMENT???
Library volunteers are an essential part of our program. Your help in running the circulation desk, labeling, covering and shelving books, and assisting students allows us to devote more time to teaching your children the valuable skills of enjoying literature and becoming "information masters." Please contact the Library staff for more information.us if you would like to make a weekly commitment to volunteering.
Birthday Book Club
MPE's Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to celebrate your child's special day and donate a book to the library at the same time! For more information on this program, here is the "Birthday Book Club" document.